In an effort to increase pedestrian circulation and safety in the northeast corner of Tredyffrin, the Township has initiated a multimodal transportation study in the vicinity of Gateway Shopping Center. The primary focus of this study will be to evaluate alternatives for closing crucial gaps in the existing sidewalk network and to create a safe pedestrian environment in and around the various intersections, including:
- N. Valley Forge Road and Walker Road, near the entrance to Valley Forge Middle School
- N. Valley Forge Road and Anthony Wayne Drive, near the western entrance to Gateway
- E. Swedesford and W. Valley Roads, near the eastern entrance to Gateway, SEPTA Bus Stop, and the Chester Valley Trail (CVT).
A secondary focus of the study will be to explore opportunities for creating future access to key points of interest in the surrounding area - including Valley Forge National Historic Park, Pennsylvania Turnpike’s Valley Forge Service Plaza, Valley Forge Middle & Elementary Schools, Wilson Farm Park, and points east along Swedesford Road (in both Tredyffrin & Upper Merion Townships). Emphasis will also be placed on integrating the numerous religious institutions and community gathering places, as well as various residential neighborhoods and commercial areas, into the overall connectivity plan. In addition to the busy Swedesford Road and Rt. 252 (N. Valley Forge Road) corridors, the study area includes important stops along SEPTA’s 124 and 92 Bus Route.
The Goals of this project are to:
- Enhance the transportation network to provide access for all users and encourage non-vehicular travel;
- Provide links for pedestrians and bicyclists between key transportation assets and major destinations within the community;
- Improve access to transit for the community; and
- Promote active transportation to improve the health and well-being of residents.
This project is being funded by the Chester County Planning Commission's Vision Partnership Program (VPP), Regency Centers (owners of Gateway Shopping Center), and Tredyffrin Township.