Building & Construction Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

PLEASE NOTE: As of May 1, Governor Wolf has allowed businesses in the construction industry in the commonwealth to resume in-person operations. All construction projects must maintain proper social distancing and provide hand washing and sanitizing stations for workers, as well as cleaning and sanitizing protocols for high risk transmission areas. Click here for PCCA Guidance during COVID-19

The Building Department is currently accepting permits via electronic and US Mail only until further notice.  

Building permits are required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or otherwise change the occupancy of a building. Permits are also required in order to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace an electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system regulated under the 2015 International Building Code. (The 2015 International Building Code is effective on October 1, 2018 and shall include the International Plumbing, Mechanical, Electrical, Fuel/Gas, Energy and Existing Building codes.) Solar PV projects also require one inspection (subject to final approval).

Click here for the 2020 ISO Building Code Enforcement Report.

In an effort to improve our application & review process, it is preferred that the General Contractor complete one application for all permit types (check all that apply). Submissions should include one (1) paper copy and one (1) electronic copy (CD or USB drive) of the plan or plan set. Estimated costs are required for plan review, therefore a completed cost analysis sheet must be submitted at the time of application. The required cost analysis sheet is included in the Application for Building & Construction Permit below (page 3).

Permit Application Process:

Maximum plan review time for a Residential plan is 15 business days and 30 days for a Commercial plan. Tredyffrin Township Permits and Inspections Department is committed to the earliest possible approvals.

Submit your application, accompanying plans & insurance forms. We accept applications in person, mailed (Temporary Address: 850 Cassatt Road, Suite 110, 100 Berwyn Park, Berwyn, PA 19312), emailed ( or faxed (610-651-8196). When sent via email/fax, Township staff will confirm receipt and request any omitted information.

  • **While undergoing building renovations, the Township will be unable to accept credit card payments for permits, effective 10/11/19.  Cash or check only will be accepted as payment. We fully expect to restore this service at a later date. Thank you.** 
  • *Payments received after 4:00 pm will be processed on the following business day*

  • Payment is not required upon submission. The applicant/contractor will be invoiced once submitted plans are reviewed. Click here to calculate fees.

  • The inspector/plans examiner will review the application and request any additional information from the contractor.
  • Please allow 24-48 hours after payment to process & issue permits.  The applicant/contractor will receive the permits via email or will be notified for pick-up.
  • Permits must be posted & visible from the street. Once work is completed, an inspection must be scheduled. Click here to request an inspection online. For electrical inspections, the Township uses United Inspections (215-542-9977). Final inspections must be completed before a Use & Occupancy Permit may be issued.

Application Materials:

Many of the Township's permit applications can now be completed on your computer! Complete & submit your application, along with accompanying plans & insurance forms electronically, via email to or via fax at (610)-651-8196. Please complete one application for all permit types (check all that apply):

Other Permits:


In addition, the proposed construction must comply with all applicable building codes, the Stormwater Ordinance and the Zoning Ordinance. Please visit the Stormwater & Grading Permit page for additional information.

The following types of applications are handled by the Zoning Hearing Board

Use & Occupancy: 

Use & Occupancy permits (U&O) - also known as a Certificate of Occupancy (CO) - are required for all commercial uses (including changes in ownership) and all new construction (including residential). These permits are intended to certify that the use complies with the Zoning Ordinance and applicable building regulations. Use and Occupancy applications should be submitted to Township prior to the final review for building permits.

Other Information

Ordinary repairs to structures do not require a building permit. Ordinary repairs include:

  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finishing work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to one- and two-family dwellings.
  • Prefabricated pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
  • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  • Window replacement without structural change.
  • Replacement of existing roof material that does not exceed 25% of the total roof area performed within any 12-month period.
  • Replacement of existing siding.
  • Repair or replacement or any part of a porch or stoop which does not structurally support a roof located above the porch or stoop.
  • Installation or addition of roll or batt insulation.
  • Replacement of exterior rain water gutters and leaders.
  • Minor electrical repair and maintenance work such as the connection of approved portable electrical equipment to approve permanently installed receptacles, or the replacement of a receptacle, switch or lighting fixture rated at 20 amps or less and operating at less than 120 volts with a like or similar item (does not include replacement of GFCI receptacles).
  • Replacement of installed, electrically operated doorbells, communication systems and any motor operated device.
  • Portable heating, ventilation or cooling equipment.
  • Stopping leaks in pipes.
  • Replacement of faucets, lavatories or toilets.
  • Ordinary repairs do not include:
    • the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof
    • the removal or cutting of any structural beam or load bearing support
    • the removal or change of any required means of egress or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting its exit way requirements
    • the addition to, alteration of, replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping; electrical wiring; or mechanical.

The Asbestos NESHAP regulations require all facility owners or demolition contractors to submit an Asbestos Abatement and Demolition/Renovation Form to the Pennsylvania DEP and the United States Environmental Protection Agency at least 10 working days before the onset of demolition. All buildings must be thoroughly inspected for asbestos-containing materials prior to any demolition or renovation. The only exception to this is when the demolition is one single-family dwelling that is not part of a larger project, such as a commercial or condominium development. These materials are available from your DEP regional office or online.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer